Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Weak, but Strong

I start working at Camp at the end of this week. I have Challenge Course refresher training on either Thursday or Friday, and then Core Staff training during the week of the 4th . Then Staff Training starts on June 11. I'm excited for Camp, but right now I'm feeling pretty exhausted. I've been so busy finishing up stuff at Church and doing family stuff, and I'm in the process of moving. I can't even think about the beginning of the actual weeks of having campers, because right now I'm just focusing on getting through trainings.

During my first summer as a counselor, the Bible study theme was "Weak, but Strong," and it talked about people in the Bible who made mistakes and God still used them. It used one of my favorite Bible verses, 2 Corinthians 12:9, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" I am relying on this verse, because I won't be able to live up to my responsibilities on my own steam. I am going to be the Staff Chaplain, so I'm really going to need to put a lot of my energy toward supporting and nurturing other people, and I don't want to end up being cranky or irritable. This is a job that I've wanted to do, and that I've felt God preparing me for, and I'm reminded that if I went into it full steam, I would probably be convinced of my own abilities, but might forget that it was God empowering me. Fortunately, God's grace is sufficient enough that in my own weakness, I can see how much God does empower me.

I am praying that this will be one of those times.

1 Corinthians 13:1-7
If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;[b] but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Week 1 has passed and I think we can say that your love is being spread. Thanks. It makes a world of difference to some people. :)

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home