Sunday, October 01, 2006

World Communion Sunday

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
The holy universal church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.

-from The Apostles' Creed

Today is World Communion Sunday, and while I was sitting in worship at Trinity, I was journaling and thinking about some old wounds that have resurfaced in the past few days. This summer, I told a group of Senior High campers thatsometimes we carry old hurt and anger to protect ourselves. We don't want to forget, as if in letting go we would forget that there are people who are going to hurt us. We don't want to be caught off-guard.

I think this is true, but today we watched the Nooma video "Dust" in Jacob's Well, which talks about doubting ourselves and our ability to live the life Christ calls us to. I think that just as some people don't seek medical treatment because they are afraid they won't get better, sometimes I'm afraid to let go of hurts because I'm afraid that I'm broken beyond repair. Of course everyone is, apart from God.

Communion today reminded me that Christ wants to make me whole in Himself, and in the body of Christ. During Communion, Amy often reminds us that in Communion we are feasting along with the whole communion of Saints. It is nice that World Communion Sunday is in October, when my camp friends are almost done scattering all over the world. It is a comforting reminder that I have brothers and sisters all over the world, and we are connected by God's spirit. This isn't a great comfort when I'm wishing that I had more friends closeby, but it is a nice truth to lean on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Megan- Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the Spirit used today to speak a word of healing in the midst of pain. You are right that we are all broken, and that you are not broken beyond repair. There have been times in my life when I literally have to repeat mantras to myself like "I am forgiven" and "I am loved." I will be praying extra for you this week.
Love,
Amy

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home