Tuesday, October 03, 2006

5 Things

Since there are few things more universally beloved than Top 5 lists on blogs, I'm bringing lists back. They didn't actually go anywhere... but I haven't done one in awhile. Today's list is 5 things that are on my heart right now.

1. Teenagers. What with there being 5 school shootings in the last month, and me spending a crazy amount of time with 14 year olds, teenagers to remain unnamed have been weighing on my heart. It is so hard for kids to figure out who they are and who they want to be, all the while dealing with all sorts of pressure from every angle. I am praying that God will open doors for me to be there for the kids who are around me.

2. Africa. Genocide in Darfur, children forced into militias in Uganda and other countries, AIDS... everywhere, debt and exploitation. I have been trying to raise awareness about Darfur, and it feels like nothing is happening. The UN and some governments are taking steps to end the violence, but it isn't happening fast enough. Meanwhile, there are tons of other things going on to raise awareness about. On a personal note, I am going to Africa in 2 months (!!!) and I'm still looking for money to pay for it.

3. Social Services in Cecil County. There aren't enough services available for the homeless, for the mentally ill, for people struggling to make ends me, for young or underprivileged parents or parents of children with special needs. We haven't even tapped the surface of the need for people advocating against domestic violence, rape, and incest. It is comforting, though, that our churches are banding together to address the need for a rotating homeless shelter in the winter. It is a step in the right direction.

4. My future. Dear Jesus, I'm ok right now, but it would be nice if I could have some idea of how I am going to spend the rest of my life. When I'll get out of seminar? When I might be finding someone to marry? If I'll ever have money? Loooove, Megan.

5. I miss my friends who live far away. It's cool to have friends from other countries, but it stinks when they go home. At least I'll get to see some of the Africans this winter, but hopefully I'll see the others sometime. Come to think of it, I miss my friends who live in Baltimore... Its hard enough getting to see them.

That was harder than I thought, coming up with 5 legitimate things. That's a good sign. It is much easier to think of things that I am grateful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home