Thursday, August 28, 2008

One Step Closer

I think someday I will tell my kids about tonight.

I grew up hearing about the civil rights movement of the 60's, about the fight for women's rights, and about the power of the people to change injustice. I grew up wanting to change the world, not so that I could say that I changed the world, but because there is so much injustice in this world that needs to be changed. I have been frustrated for years because I wanted to fight for justice and peace, and then when I started to find ways it didn't seem possible to make a difference. I was told that I could do anything, but still the leadership of this country and many other institutions (like the church) is white, male, and older. I became an adult during a time when I couldn't find any politicians who spoke for me (or to me).

But tonight, as I waited to hear Barack Obama speak, the weight this historic moment hit me. We might actually have a person of color become president. And he's a hapa (a half-white person)! This is a candidate who is reaching out to the young, and a democrat reaching out to progressive evangelicals. He is someone who says he wants a united and empowered American people. I'm not sure I can articulate what this means to me, but I do know that it is a very significant step toward real racial equality. This is the kind of progress that I have been yearning for. This doesn't mean that Barack Obama should be elected just because he's black, but it is cause for celebration.

I am grateful that I benefit from the strides made toward racial and gender equality, and tonight I am hopeful that I will see many more steps in the right direction.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home