Thursday, December 01, 2005

God's Plans are Awesome

Last week I was driving down to the Outer Banks for Thanksgiving, which meant 7 hours of thinking. The drive was actually really nice... me and my music and God. And an hour on the phone with Jackie.

At one point I started thinking about what my life would be like without God. I realized that I couldn't imagine it, because I have been aware of God's presence in my life for as long as I remember. Then, a worse thought occurred to me: What if I chosen to turn away from God? I can think of a few times when my choices would have really changed the course of my life, but only one instance in which the wrong choice would have meant turning away from God. I wouldn't have been able to maintain that path I almost started without moving farther and farther from God. I wouldn't have been able to live out the ministry God wanted me to have while carrying burdens that God never intended for me. I would have tried to bring God with me, but it wouldn't have been possible. God is too big to fit into the small life I imagined for myself.

It is amazing to me that I could have such low ideals for myself. It really reminds me that God's plans for us are so much bigger and better than we can imagine for ourselves. We go chasing after ice cream trucks and God wants to lead us to the Ben and Jerry's factory. (That one's for my Camp friends). My life is so full and blessed right now. Even my struggles are so much more joyful than the problems I used to have. The possibilities that I see, even if they never come to pass, are enough to make up for anything I gave up.

I am so blessed. God has turned my life into a ministry and blessed me with "such a great cloud of witnesses." I have never been so aware of being surrounded by faithful people who love and support me. God really is good.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us.

-Hebrews 12:1

1 Comments:

Blogger B said...

J, it looks like the least-used popular word is "evil," at 452 occurences. Weeeeeird... OK, that was fun.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home