While I was working on the socks, I was also doing squares for the blanket I made my brother for Christmas. He mentioned months ago that he liked the blanket the Chapel Hill Knitters made for the Camp Quilt Auction, and asked if I would make him one. So I did. I used the same kind of yarn as for the socks, but obviously in different colors. This one is considerably bigger. The squares were 9x11 inches, but I didn't measure it once it was put together and blocked. The nice thing about knitted blankets is that they are super stretchy, which is good since my brother is pretty tall.
I was particularly happy with the "U" square I made. The first colors I chose for the quilt were the Miami orange and green, and I used leftover yarn for the logo square. I made the pattern for the Miami U Logo myself on graphing paper, and then made up the gym-sock inspired stripes as I went. It is also a pocket for keeping remotes or cell phones or whatever. When I finished knitting the square I picked up stitches along the bottom and just kept knitting until the back of the pocket was done; then I sewed up the sides. I have to admit that I'm amazed at how well it turned out, with the exception of the stitches at the bottom of the U being a little funky.
Now I'm working on a sweater - my most ambitious project to date. I have this great superfine undyed Alpaca that I got for fairly cheap at the yarn shop. The back is almost finished and so far it looks ok. I also still have a baby blanket half-done, but there's not really a rush on that one.