Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year

Well, I am back in the States again, and sitting in the Delta Crown Club at Atlanta's airport. For $25 you can sit in a special club where they give you free drinks, CNN, nice chairs, and a break from the rest of the airport. I sort of feel weird about this, but apparently my anti-elitist sentiments don't hold up to my anti-sitting in uncomfortable chairs and paying $4 for water feelings.

Anyway, here's list of pros and cons about being back in the States:

Pros:
-I can plug in my laptop without smelling smoke, seeing sparks, etc
-News that does not involve tons of bizarre murders or false AIDS remedies
-my cell phone works now
-Just in time to celebrate more Dems in Congress!
-can go back to freely criticizing my country (you know how you're allowed to complain about your mom, but you don't want others to? That's how I feel about my country)
-Will see friends and family

Cons:
-Am now obligated to keep up with my e-mail
-Vacation is now over
-Miss my friends in SA
-Now have to answer my cell phone
-Watching News does now involve hearing about American politics and Pat Robertson

And seeing as I've had so much time to think think think, here are my New Years' Resolutions (measurable goals to follow).

1) Adventure - I came to the conclusion that I need more adventure in my life, but that adventure is not just about doing things that are crazy, spontaneous and slightly irresponsible, but about taking advantage of every opportunity God gives me and getting the most out of it.

2) Reconciliation - I am going to make an effort to bring healing in as many parts of my life as I can.

3) Peace-making - This goes along with reconciliation, but is less specific. James 3:13-18 says that Wisdom is "peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others." Also that "All those who are peace-makers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness."

4) I hate to be cliche, so I really don't want to make the resolution to get into shape, but it was shocking how out of shape I am when I was walking around South Africa. I started to walk more before it got cold, and I would like to at least be able to hike when I want to.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Hey Megan, check out your age (on your profile) and mine, too, for that matter. We look pretty good for our age, don't we? ;D

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home