Friday, January 19, 2007

Get Excited

Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
-Harold Whitman

I have been following politics since my grandparents made us eat dinner around the TV during the 1992 Democratic National Convention. I became old enough to vote 6 days after the September 11 terrorist attacks, and have watched American politics grow increasingly more polarized and fear-driven. I felt frustrated with politicians, because I didn't hear anyone talking who represented me. I have great respect for the hard-earned wisdom of seasoned politicians, but I wonder why 45 is considered young in Congress, when the minimum age is 25 for the HR and 30 for the Senate.

Lately, I've been more hopeful though... and even excited. I'm pretty excited about Gov. O'Malley, and I really like Sen. Obama. I really really like Obama. I like what he has to say. I like the integrity that he has shown. I like that he talks about his faith and recognizes that standing for justice and unity with others is part of being a Christian. I don't know if he is ready to run for president, or if the country is ready to elect him, but I am excited to see what happens. I also appreciate that he is using the internet (and Facebook!) to reach out to young adults.



Of course I am going to use discernment in deciding how much I want to get behind him. I was excited about Howard Dean because he also reached out to young adults (and was really enthusiastic), but I'm not sure I ever really saw him as president.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger gavin richardson said...

politicians are always a little tricky.. or is that bishops.. &:~)

i love the quote, we need more passionate people doing things they come alive doing

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home