Monday, January 22, 2007

I <3 DC

Today was my first day back at school, and I'm actually really glad to be back. I'm feeling rested (spiritually, that is), and have a renewed excitement about my calling. I went to my first class, Gospel in a Consumer Culture, which is going to be really cool. Except that there's a lot of reading. I think this will be a good chance to make some social justice-y friends.

Class got out early, so I paid tuition, bought books, validated my library card, and found myself falling asleep in the student lounge with 2 1/2 more hours until dinner. I tried to take a nap in my car, but that didn't really work, so instead I drove down the street to Starbucks. I sat on a stool in the window and did some reading, but mostly I looked out the window and thought about how much I love being in DC. I would love to walk down every Monday, but I won't usually have enough time unless I come early.

The Starbucks is right across from the American University Law Library, so I was surrounded by the kind of humanities/social science major conversations that make me miss Mike Buck. There were also a few pockets of stubbly be-hoodied law student (read: guys in their twenties), so I may invite Marti to come hang out with me there sometime. Who knows, maybe I'll be sitting there someday and some Christian law student will come up to me and say, "Are you reading Following Christ in a Consumer Culture? I love that book!"

DC is just so pretty and full of interesting places, that I'm looking forward to the days when I'll be one campus enough to go out and explore.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger B said...

So is reading "Following Christ in a Consumer Culture" in a Starbucks ironic, since Starbucks is basically the symbol of evil consumerism? I love it! :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing. I wonder how many anti-globalization/consumerism/big business conversations happen in Starbucks? I bet a lot. And this particular Starbucks is actually in a Crate and Barrel store.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home