Monday, December 10, 2007

90's Nostalgia

I watched the pilot of My So-Called Life on ABC.com the other day. I love that show! They are streaming episodes for free - there are 2 up now!!! Watching MSCL threw me into a bit of nostalgia for the egocentric teen culture of the 90's. This is the decade transformed the impulse to watch people and gossip into reality tv (oh, The Real World.) This is also the decade that pushed self-esteem to the point that we all ended up thinking that we deserve our own show/book/movie narrated in first person (hence, the popularity of the blog).

Meanwhile, I am noticing that several 90's bands are trying to make a come-back. The Spice Girls??? Being promoted by Victoria's Secret??? How did that happen? Also Salt n Peppa apparently have a reality show, and Boys II Men have a new cd out.

We were playing charades in youth group last night, and one kid had to act out Free Willy. He said he had never seen it, but I asked him if he knew at least what it was about, and he said yes. He was imitating what I thought was a whale, but no one was getting it so I told him to do a sounds like, thinking he would point to his knee for "free." But instead he kept coughing. I was totally confused. As it turns out, he thought the movie was about a dolphin. The confusion happened because the movie came out the year he was born.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home